I feel a bit like it is the last day of summer camp. I am constantly reconnecting with friends and trying to figure out when it is really "goodbye."
My body is used to waking up early so I forced it to stay asleep til 8 and got up for the biggest breakfast in over a month. I ran into more friends and wandered the streets until the big pilgrim meeting for lunch at noon.
Five of us went to a museum about St. James, the way, and pilgrims. We were the only ones there in the mammoth building that is far bigger than it needs to be, but it was interesting.
We came back, ready to embrace the Spanish siesta. After a break and shower it was time to try to get a seat for the evening mass. This is where they have the botafumeiro, the big incense swinger as seen in "The Way." I had my last Camino thing to do and it was a bit more emotional than I thought. Well, perhaps more emotional than I was ready for after almost two days "off" the Camino. I was grateful for my Camino friends who rallied to support me.
After mass, I was in a mission to reconnect with my Canadian friend. I had a drink with some other pilgrims and eventually found the Canadian. It is such a strange mix of feelings. It feels like the last day of summer camp or high school. Some of us walk again tomorrow and others go to the end of the earth.
It is so hard to express this ending, so I will focus on the next few days, a new beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment