Friday, April 17, 2015

30k day

Today I started walking by myself at first light. Every time I say that phrase, I feel like I am in some epic war movie, "we strike at dawn, at first light." Perhaps I just need to write a script...

My guidebook doesn't list alternate routes, so I just rely on yellow arrows. I took the less scenic route along the highway. It was a different way up the mountain, along the road for three hours. For some reason I really felt dwarfed by the mountain - by the world - on this route. I was struck by how big the world is and that I am just one tiny person. Somehow our awesome God is aware of each hair on each one of our heads. Pretty amazing.

I took my time and many breaks. Eventually I merged with the more scenic route. I passed a lot of animals (one cow seemed to sneak up on me and I was glad no pilgrims were behind me to see my spastic reaction!). The other day were far less animals, but more entertaining- a cat with a funny walk, a dog that looked like he was wearing a toupee and a barn of animals that sounded so fake, I was sure it was just the cast of Monty Python behind the door.

Eventually I came to the steep climb. Wow. This was no joke. Likely the steepest climb thus far. I did make it the entire way and am so close to catching some of my friends.

The town of O'Cebreiro is small but cute. And it has the most amount of octopus advertisements at restaurants that I have ever seen. Apparently we have entered the seafood region. As I type this, it is 9:30pm and the sun is just now going down. The albergue is huge and clinical but does have a stunning view.

9 pm view from albergue

Tomorrow is another day. As I have said on the Camino, I feel like there everything before was "yesterday" as all the days run together. I live in today and look forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment