Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Reached my destination

Sometimes it is only after you have reached a point in your life that you realize where you were going. There are four questions when you meet a pilgrim: what is your name, where are you from, where did you start and where are you going? Santiago is clearly most people's goal. It was not until today, two minutes after I walked passed Cruz de Ferro that I realized Santiago was not my destination for the past four weeks; the iron cross was.
Cruz de Ferro
If you have seen "The Way" you will recognize the huge iron cross. Of course, it looks different in person, but the impact I thought it would have was just as powerful. I was there at the same time as the fireman from Germany. When I told him I was going to burn a piece of paper, his eyes bugged out and I could see his brain calculating the fire that could erupt. He just covered his eyes and waved me on to do my thing.

The way today was through the mountain, the same one I was climbing yesterday. I found it funny that in the very early morning light the flowers looked less beautiful than yesterday. The circumstances - light and rain - had changed, but the flowers remained the same. Perception changes but the integrity of things stay the same.

I slowly made my way down the mountain. I thought I had traversed every terrain possible, but more rocks and annoying slippery slate were on the agenda today. At numerous points today, I thought I was off the path. I was glad for the reassuring arrows, as few and far between as they were.
So very happy to see this arrow!
The rain that was rumored did indeed fall, but it wasn't too bad. I had a reprieve and tried to break for lunch on the path, but the lunch break was called on account of rain. I got a second chance at a more picturesque spot later in the day.

Just before getting into town, I met a Camino friend. I was worried he wasn't doing well and stopped to see how he was. Then I realized he was at a grave site. It turns out it was the marker for the late priest who had married him and baptized his kids. Just reminded me that we never know the burdens other pilgrims are carrying.

I arrived in Ponferrada, not very impressed. I finally met up with some friends after I toured the castle. We celebrated a birthday and generally had a great pilgrim time. Not sure where I will end up tomorrow, but that has become part of the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment