Saturday, April 18, 2015

Caught my friends

Saturday started at 7:40 on the mountain. I just followed some other pilgrims to walk on the road. It wasn't until I got to the first town and saw a pilgrim who started after me pop out nowhere that I realized, once again, there was probably a scenic route I missed.

My feet, especially my left heel, was in some pain. I was at the stopping city (according to the guidebook) by noon. I had been stepping differently to try to ease my painful heel, but at lunch when I removed my shoes and socks, I saw that was a terrible idea as a new, disgusting blister had formed between my toes.

At lunch a Camino friend who has been aiding me in my quest to try new things gave me some calamari to try. Not terrible, but not my favorite.

I started off again and when I got to the end of town my feet begged me to stay. But I could just feel that friends I hadn't seen in a week or more were 9k away, so I lumbered on. I finally ended in Samos, only to see a sign on the albergue "closed until May." The thought of going another 10k to the big city was unfathomable.
So very happy to arrive!

Then I heard my name. When you hear your name in a foreign country, it sounds that much sweeter. I was glad to turn and see my friend from Ohio. Then I entered the cafe and found my Canadian friend sitting there. All was right again.

We checked into the monastery albergue and toured the grounds. Then the Canadian and I went for a "good to see you again" cerveza. I still had half of the impossibly large sandwich from lunch, so that was my dinner.

We attended mass at the monastery. My Spanish is getting better every day and so I understood a bit more. After mass, the group wanted to eat, so another pilgrim, who had also eaten, and I shared a bottle of nice wine. No vino tinto for once. It's great that good wine is so inexpensive here.

We went back to the freezing albergue. Sleeping in all of my clothes and jacket, sleeping bag and two blankets, I was almost approaching warm. If that were the only problem that night. Just as I laid down, a zombie approached. (I was glad to have my "Carol" haircut!) The groaning, hacking man took the bed next to me. Ah, Camino life!

No comments:

Post a Comment