Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Camino communication

After a pretty good night's sleep in a room of four, the goofy albergue owner threw open the door to our room, shouted "Buenos dias," turned on the light and blared the TV. Clearly his 7:30 am departure time was to be strictly adhered to. Three of us left a few minutes past the time and were the only ones who did not receive a "Buen Camino."


We were met with another sunrise walk in the cold.


I was not feeling so great, so I lost my travel mates as my pace slowed. I finally had gotten my camera batteries charged so I was taking more time to film. After a trudge up a hill, I relaxed at a bench by a cross. People had left some items in the rocks at the foot of the cross, so I took another prayer card out, read it and left it. I filmed this part and finished just as a woman walked up.

When I stopped about ten minutes later to film again, she caught up. As she neared, she asked "Are you making a documentary?" I confirmed that I was and then she asked if I was American. When I said yes again, she said, "I've heard about you." It has been funny to meet pilgrims, and after talking, they often have met a person or two you have met, so within a day or two ahead or behind, word of different pilgrims travels. I've more often heard, "oh you're the one who lost her bag!"

There were a number of little villages close together, so I caught up with the German guy and Canadian woman I had started with. She is a director and camera operator, so as I walked praying the rosary, she took my GoPro and filmed me for a bit. It will likely be the best-shot few minutes of my film.


I ended up walking about 6 or 8 km more than I expected to. I'm trying to pace it out so I will be in Bugos for Easter. In this city, I am at the only albergue in town, I believe. As we walked up, Irish music was playing, so it was clear this is where I needed to hang my hat for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment