Thursday, March 26, 2015

The path ahead

Today seemed to take forever, but it was just as long in kilometers as yesterday. It was a delight to actually have a lot of flat walking and many of the inclines were more gradual than the previous days. I think my body was staging a protest, saying "so this is really a thing? We're walking ever day?"

Two times on smaller heights, I could see the road ahead. Both times I thought how nice it was to see where I'd be walking. Yet, both times I was fooled. When I got to the bottom, where I couldn't see, the actual path turned both times. I had learned this morning that I was not accepted into a program I applied to so I was praying that God would let me understand the path to take. I took these two hidden turns to mean that in the proper time, my path will be revealed, but not any sooner than that. But, by golly, I would like to see ahead...
the road in the distance does NOT go to Santiago 

Today was an assault on my sense of smell many times. One wonderful exception was the bakery I came across. My nose forced me in to buy some bread and cheese. I ended up stopping at the medieval bridge for lunch. Not a bad view (and no awful smells).
No reservations needed for this lunch spot

After lunch I ended up behind a group of eight people. Walking two-by-two, their loud conversations and the one gentleman's incessant cough were a bit jarring to me. Walking so much on my own, I was used to just the tap tap of my poles, the wind whistling in my ears, the crunch of the ground under my shoes, and the gentle sound of my shell swinging on my backpack. I usually walk at my normal pace but I had to escape this group so I charged ahead.

I walked the last bit with my Swedish friend and after walking around the city to find two albergues closed, we finally got into the one open place. Tomorrow is another 22k day for me, so go for a half hour walk on your lunch tomorrow. Enjoy nature and get a different view!

No comments:

Post a Comment