Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Three seasons in one day

After walking the other day in rain all day, I was happy to see the sun as I set out today. The way is expertly marked through Pamplona. There are arrows on buildings and big blue signs at every turn. To make sure pilgrims don't get lost, there are shells on the ground every five feet or so. I was thinking that I wish life was so easy to follow, arrows clearly showing you where God wants you to go. Then I thought back to the second day when a German man walked 5k in the wrong direction (which meant walking another extra 5k to get back on the path) all because he missed a sign when he had his head down. Looking at our feet where we are may prevent us from seeing some clear direction.

yellow arrows are my friend
As I got out of the city, a mountain loomed and all I kept thinking was "am I walking up that?"  Yes, yes I did. Just as I contemplated taking off my vest jacket because of the spring-like weather, it quickly turned to fall and started raining and it became "march of the ponchos" again. As I ascended further, winter arrived, as it became a "wintry mix" with snow. That finally ended for me to see the road of mud. I had just been complimented on my clean boots the night before. I am constantly assessing the road to find a way to dodge the mud, but it could not be avoided today.

The climb up was quite difficult as the wind increased. (It makes sense they put the wind turbines at the summit.) I would have gotten blown to the ground without my poles. At the top is a sign that this was the "hill of forgiveness." You may recognize the sculpture from "The Way." I have no idea how they got any sound up there with the wind whipping so.
Hill of forgiveness

The way down was just as difficult. Of all the terrain I have walked on so far, and it has been many, I dislike these medium stones the most. I am surprised people don't roll ankles here. I ate lunch with my new Swedish friend and walked the rest of the day with her. We arrived in Puenta de Reina after about 7 hours of walking.
No me gusta

The town before our stop for the night.

The albergue tonight is the cheapest so far - 5 euro but it is one of the larger ones which to me has less charm. But it had a shower and a bed, so the base criteria is met.

More tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I like the Hill of Forgiveness...what it can mean for each person and the beauty of it!

    ReplyDelete