For the past six weeks or so, I've been doing a Quote of the Day on Twitter. I thought that I should start using these quotes as a basis to get back to writing my blog. So, today's Quote of the Day is: When we forget ourselves, we usually do something that everyone else remembers.
By and large, I have a positive opinion about people. I give people the benefit of the doubt and believe they are good at their core. That said, I also believe it's safe to say that people are often pretty narcissistic. That's probably our survival mentality, our animal instincts to look out for ourselves. So this quote struck me, because it is a conscious decision to go against our natural desire to put ourselves first.
There are some people for whom thinking of others and being of service to others is their natural instinct. That's pretty amazing thing. Surely you know at least one person like that. How does that person make you feel? Pretty darn good, I bet. And knowing that you feel good makes them feel pretty darn good in return.
This blog is primarily about my filmmaking endeavors, so I'll circle this quote back to the creative endeavor of making a film. On a film set, each person does their individual job to serve the higher goal: the film. To do that effectively, you must check your ego at the door and always keep the film at the forefront of your decisions. As a director, I am always so grateful for everyone that comes to work to help me realize my vision.
My friend JC and I recently just launched a female filmmaker co-op.
The plan is to make a series of short films with an all-female crew. The first project is one that she wrote and will direct. I've posted before about the need for opportunities for females in the film industry, and that is obviously why we decided to form this group. However, I'm equally excited for this project for another reason. I look forward to helping somebody else to fulfill her vision.
JC has (smartly) budgeted time at the end of the shoot for us to talk about the experience. I think when we reflect on the day, we will realize that when we all forget our own agendas and do something for someone else, we can have a project that we are proud of. On top of that, we'll all have a positive experience we'll remember in the process.
How about you? What is your positive story about helping another?

No comments:
Post a Comment