Monday, June 20, 2016

Lessons From a Tree

As soon as I stepped out the door for my morning walk just after 8 am, I immediately regretted taking the extra hour of sleep. I knew I should start my day when it was a little cooler, but here I was walking in mid-80 degree heat with the fierce sun already beating down.

As I sized up each new block to see which side of the street I should take, I flashed back to the Camino. Trekking on a variety of terrain across Spain, some days each step was carefully calculated to avoid mud or twisting an ankle on a rock. In my walks through my neighborhood, I generally don't need give much thought to my path (except the periodic spider webs from the apparently very acrobatic spiders in the area who are flying across sidewalks). But this morning I was once again calculating my route.

I zig-zagged across streets, all to get some respite in the shade, however brief it may have been. Then I came across a huge tree on one block, which provided the longest stint of shade in my 2 miles. I thought how wonderful that this tree was taking the abuse from the blazing sun, so I did not have to. I could have some comfort because the tree was softening the blow of the sun's harsh rays.


With my rosary in hand, I thought of how when Jesus was nailed to a tree, he willingly took on that abuse for all of us. And not just because he was saving all of humanity. If it was only for one person - you or me - he would have welcomed his brutal death, all the same.

I further reflected on my jockeying for the correct path. It occurred to me that I am unable to create the shade on my own. I just had to see where it was naturally occurring and walk there. It has been said to stop asking God to bless what you are doing, but instead do what God has already blessed. I know that God called me to California for a reason so I am working to find what God has planned for me and fulfill that call.

Today is my 11-monthiversary of being in LA. I continue to strive to walk where God is leading me. I look for the path that he is laying out and am grateful that he is always there - rain or shine - ready to provide me needed relief so I can continue on the journey.

2 comments: