Finish what you start; persistence, sir!
My husband trains in Tae Kwon Do and so I've heard this phrase yelled at many a belt testing. It's a great phrase and, of course, applies to all of life, not just martial arts.
I've been writing screenplays for a while now - nearly a decade. Certainly, people have been writing longer than I have, but I've learned enough over those years to feel like I can dispense some wisdom. It can be summed up in just a few words:
Do
A lot of people talk about doing things and far fewer actually do things. Yes, you can learn by reading and watching others, but the real learning is when you try. When you do...and when you fail...but try again.
Finish
Whatever creative outlet you seek, see a project through to the end. Maybe it won't be pretty. Maybe it will have to be reworked entirely. But you'll have a first draft of your project. Time is going to pass anyway, so don't you want something to show for it? Success comes to finish what they start.
Hold on
If you are really trying to succeed in the film industry, you have to have tenacity. Just hold on longer than the others and you will have opportunities. I'm not saying you'll be the last one standing and success will be handed to you, but the field will be cleared of some competition. And along the way, you will have learned and networked. Seriously - if it's your dream, don't give up. Ever.
Start something
So, in this brief post, I just want to encourage you. Be a doer; finish; don't give up. I want you to wake up tomorrow and do something for your dream, your career. You'll thank yourself the day after tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment